We have an application running on a Windows 8 virtual machine which provides a file using HTTP when requested. When accessed from a Linux physical machine, the file is often slightly corrupted. To check the data integrity, I ran the following prior to the download and then after. Here is the md5sum prior to any downloads:

[elatov@klaptop ~]$ md5sum test
25e317773f308e446cc84c503a6d1f85 test

After I uploaded the file to the Windows server and then back to my Linux host, I would see the following:

[elatov@klaptop ~]$ md5sum test
456d810e2396f34e0cb1024ebf2b88dc test

I grabbed a Wireshark capture on my VM during the transfer process and saw the following:

SRC Win VM HTTP Based Data Transfers from Windows 8 VM to Linux Physical Machine are Corrupted

The size of the packet is 8266 bytes and jumbo frames are not setup. If TSO or LRO is enabled then packet sizes in Wireshark are not accurate. From this wireshark page:

Some cards can reassemble traffic. This will manifest itself in Wireshark as packets that are larger than expected, such as a 2900-byte packet on a network with a 1500-byte MTU. You can check and change offloading behavior on Linux and Windows using the methods described in the previous section.

I then ran into this Windows article. Here is a snippet from the article:

When the Receive Window Auto-Tuning feature is enabled for HTTP traffic, older routers, older firewalls, and older operating systems that are incompatible with the Receive Window Auto-Tuning feature may sometimes cause slow data transfer or a loss of connectivity. When this occurs, users may experience slow performance. Or, the applications may crash. These older devices do not comply with the RFC 1323 standard

I then ran into VMware KB 1009517, from that KB:

When using the VMXNET3 driver and Windows Server 2008 R2, you may experience these symptoms:

  • Poor performance
  • Packet loss
  • Network latency
  • Slow data transfer

The issue may be caused by Windows TCP Stack offloading the usage of the network interface to the CPU. However, since the NIC is not a direct physical NIC, it seems to have issues addressing a vCPU and vNIC. To resolve this issue, disable the TCP Checksum Offload feature, as well as the RSS. Open the command prompt as administrator and run these commands:

netsh int tcp set global RSS=disabled
netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=None
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled
netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=disabled

Note: If you do not notice an improvement, you can re-enable the features by re-running the commands, replacing Disabled with Enabled.

After doing some testing it looks like running the following command:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Stopped the packet corruption. Here is how the default (prior to any changes) configuration looked like on my Windows VM:

C:\Users\Administrator>netsh int tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
Receive-Side Scaling State          : enabled
Chimney Offload State               : automatic
NetDMA State                        : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA)            : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : ctcp
ECN Capability                      : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled