Identify standard resources required to construct an installation guide
If you are within an organization which has pre-made templates for this, then definitely check them out. Other than that, VMware provides a lot of evaluation guides which has a step by step process of how to install certain VMware products. Here are a few:
- VMware vSphere 5.0 Evaluation Guide Volume One
- VMware vSphere 5.0 Evaluation Guide Volume Two – Advanced Storage Features
- VMware vSphere 5.0 Evaluation Guide Volume Three – Advanced Networking Features
- VMware vSphere 5.0 Evaluation Guide Volume Four – Auto Deploy
- VMware vCloud Director 1.5 Evaluation Guide
- VMware Data Protection Evaluation Guide
- VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.0 Evaluation Guide
Consider multiple product installation dependencies to create a validated configuration
Order of installation definitely matters. You can’t install vCenter without installing a database server first.
Recognize opportunities to utilize automated procedures to optimize installation
Check out Objective 3.6 on how to setup a scripted install for ESXi.
Create installation documentation specific to the design
Here is how it would look like:
Installing the ESXi Host To install an ESXi host
- Configure the host server disk boot order to enable boot from CD.
- Boot the ESXi Installer from CD to install ESXi.
- Press Enter to start the installer.
And the instructions keep going :)